- 1 ¾ cup All-purpose flour
- 2 cups Zulka Morena Pure Cane Sugar
- ¾ cup Baking cocoa
- 1 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, room temp
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 3 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 ½ tsp Peppermint Extract
- ¾ cup Confectioners’ Sugar
- ⅓ cup Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- Peppermint Patties
- Peppermint Candies
From Sugar and Soul
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 40 minutes
Inactive time: 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease 2 8 x 2 inch round cake pans with butter and flour or cooking spray.
- Combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
- Beat in eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, batter is going to be very thin.
- Pour 2 cups of batter into each 6 inch pan or divide evenly between the two 8 inch pans.
- Bake 6 inch cakes for 30-35 minutes and 8 inch cakes for 40-45 minutes until toothpick comes clean from center.
- Cool in pans for at least 10 minutes and loosen from sides of pan before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Whip frosting ingredients together in a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment on medium high until light and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add about 1½ to 2 cups of frosting to the top of one of the layers of cake, spreading evenly over it, then topping with the second layer of cake. Use a frosting spatula to generously frost the outside of the cake. Serve within 2 hours or store in the fridge for up to 24. Top with candy just before serving.