- For the Cupcakes:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Zulka Morena Sugar
- 1/4 cup Zulka Brown Sugar
- 4 oz dark or semi-sweet chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 large eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sunflower or grape seed oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp mint extract
- 1/3 cup full fat sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips, divided
- For the Frosting:
- 6 oz full fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 10 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 cups Zulka powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2-1 tsp mint extract (use more for a stronger flavor)
- 6-10 drops green food coloring
Makes 18 cupcakes
Preheat oven to 3500 F. Prepare muffin tins with 18 cupcake liners.
In a small bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt, whisking well to combine. Set aside.
In a large bowl, use an electric or stand mixer to mix the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs and yolks one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the melted and cooled chocolate, mixing well until fully combined. Then add the oil and extracts and mix again, stopping to scrape down the sides when needed. Add the sour cream and then the flour mixture and mix slowly until just combined. Then add the milk and mix for another 20 seconds. Fold in 1 cup of the mini chocolate chips.
Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until the tops of the cupcakes bounce back slightly when lightly pressed. Let cool in the pan for 3 minutes then carefully remove to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
To make the frosting:
In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to blend the cream cheese, butter and salt until lightened and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well in between each addition. Once all the powdered sugar is mixed in add the extract and food coloring, starting with small amounts until you reach the desired flavor and color. It will darken more as it sits. Frost the tops of each cupcake using either a spatula or a frosting bag fitted with an open star tip, and sprinkle the remaining mini chocolate chips on top. Serve at room temperature.