- 1, 2 1/2 -3 lb pumpkin, peeled or unpeeled
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- peel and juice from half an orange
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star of anise
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds removed
- 1- 1 1/2 cups milk, or coconut milk, slightly warmed
from The Broken Bread
- Cut pumpkin in half from top to bottom, and use a spoon to scrape out the seeds, and stringy flesh. Cut each half into wedges that are about 2″ thick, then cut each of wedge into 3 pieces.
- Add water to a 3 quart pot over medium-high heat. Add sugar, orange peel, juice, cinnamon sticks, anise, salt, vanilla bean pod and seeds, whisking until sugar dissolves. Once mixture is boiling, add the pumpkin pieces. Allow mixture to come back up to a boil for a few seconds, then immediately reduce heat until just simmering.
- Simmer the pumpkin pieces, stirring occasionally, for 30-40 minutes or until fork tender. Once soft, remove the pumpkin pieces with a slotted spoon, cover and set aside. Discard any pieces of pumpkin skin that may have fallen off during cooking process.
- Bring remaining liqud to a boil, stirring occasionally, until reduced to a syrup that is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 20-30 minutes.
- Gather 4-5 shallow bowls, and fill with desired amount of milk, or coconut milk. Divided the pumpkin between each bowl and drizzle with warm syrup.