- 4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup maseca (corn flour)
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 cinnamon sticks, divided
- 1 vanilla bean pod
- 2 pinches kosher salt
- A few pinch of cinnamon, for garnish
from The Broken Bread
- In a 3 quart pot, add the milk, maseca, and sugar, whisking until no lumps remain. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean pod into the pot, along with 1 cinnamon stick, and salt.
- Set pot to medium heat, and bring to a boil while whisking constantly. Once boiling, continue whisking until mixture has slightly thickened, about 2- 3 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and pour the atole through a fine mesh sieve before serving.
- Garnish each cup with a cinnamon stick and a light dusting of cinnamon.